Mendon – Upton Youth Soccer Association

Meeting Minutes March 2005

 

Meeting Date: March 1st,  2005      Start: 7:29pm              Adjourned 8:24pm

 

Present: Ken Perregaux, Mike Brodeur, Keith Jackson,  Don Morin, Ed Mullarkey, Mark Murray, Chris Wojtowicz , Val Sumner, Gordon Scott,  Michael Merrigan, Rich Victor, Tony Adcock, Greg Gomes, Bob Dumas, Mark Fitzgerald, Chris Schimp

 

Agenda / Discussion

 

1.     Approve previous month’s minutes: Minutes will be provided next month.

 

2.     Spring Soccer

    1. MAYS Update– Don Morin and Keith Jackson provided: Three copies of each roster and the pass cards for each team were provided from MUYSA to MAYS at the February 6th meeting.  Coordinators and coaches making last minute changes must get them in to Don and Keith quickly.  The next MAYS meeting is March 20th where final rosters and pass cards will be picked up.  Changes can still be made during the season.  They will take time because the changes have to go back to MAYS to be official.
    2. Numbers – The spring season will have over 400 children participating.  The U6’s and U8’s registrations continue to come in.  Mike will do another notification to Memorial and Clough schools by the end of this month.  
    3. Miscoe Hill Gym – Ken Perregaux has reserved the gym beginning March 8th from 5:00pm to 9:00pm.  Coaches, please see Ken to sign up for a time.  The older teams will go to the later time spots.

 

3.     Coaches Education:

    1. Model Session – A model coaching session is scheduled for March 6th at Miscoe Hill gym.  Gary Crompton will be conducting the model sessions. 

                                                    i.     12:00 – 1:15, U8’s

                                                  ii.     1:20 – 2:35, U10’s

                                                iii.     2:45 – 4:00, U12’s

    1. Mark Fitzgerald will coordinate with the “local cable guy” to tape one of the age groups model coaching session to be broadcast on the local cabel channel in Upton.  Gary Crompton has been contacted and has agreed to wear a microphone for the taping session.  Mark will use the U8 group for the taping.

Mark Fitzgerald motioned to approve the video taping of the U8 model coaching session to be broadcast on the local cable channel in Upton.  Discussion – who will coordinate player permission to be taped?  Mark Fitzgerald and Dave Adams will contact the parents of the U8 model session group.  Following the discussion, the motion was seconded by Don Morin.  The motion passed unanimously.  

 

4.     Referee Coordinator: Chris Wojtowicz provided the following update:

    1. Class in Spring – A Referee License 9 course will be help March 16th and 21st at the Mendon Senior Center from 6:00pm to 9:45pm.   Chris is trying to have this changed to start at 5:00pm.  There will be a test at the end of the second session.  The cost of the course is $25.00 and an additional $25.00 for the License. 

 

Chris Wojtowicz motioned that any Mendon/Upton child who participates and passes the referee class be provided a referee kit that includes the uniform, whistle, etc for up to $30.00.  Discussion – Gerry Gaffney can provide the kits for $25.00.  the motion was amended to purchase referee kits for $25.00.  The motion was seconded by Val Sumner.  The motion passed unanimously.

 

    1. Referee Coordination – U10 and above will be coordinated by MAYS.  U8 and below will be coordinated by Chris Wojtowicz.  Chris would like the U8 and U7 schedules as soon as possible to have the referee’s assigned. 

 

5.     Field Updates:

    1. Grover – Coordinator is Ed Mullarkey: Don Morin and Ed Mullarkey met with the Mendon Parks department, Terry Duplin, Karen O’Brien, and Bob Duplin.  The written request to use Grover Field for soccer this spring has been approved.  Currently there are 8 teams scheduled to use the field: one U16B, one U14B, one U14G, two U12G, and 3 U12B.  Ed Mullarkey will be scheduling practice times.  Please email Ed with your request. . 
    2. Miscoe – Coordinator is Mike Poe:  The two fields at the Miscoe School will be used for U10’s.  Ken is still waiting for confirmation from the school.  Please contact Mike to start scheduling practice times.
    3. Hood Field – Coordinator is Dave Adams: The Hood filed is privately owned and MUYSA is allowed to use the field.  The insurance coverage is active through August 2005.  Hood Field will be used for U8’s.
    4. Kiwanis Field – Coordinator Mark Fitzgerald: The work to crown the field and improve drainage is scheduled for this spring.  The town of Upton has approved $25,000 for this work. 
    5. West River Field – Coordinator Mark Fitzgerald:  There are 42 parking spaces.  The field will be used for the younger kids this season.  Mark is still waiting to evaluate the condition of the field after the snow melts. 
    6. High School – Coordinator Ken Perregaux: Ken has not heard back from the high school yet.  He will call them again this week. Once approved, the club will determine what age group will use the area provided.

 

6.     Equipment Update:  The officers met with Marty Gaffney to discuss soccer supplies.  His pricing is extremely inexpensive.  The club will consider using Marty’s company moving forward.  

    1. Equipment Coordinator – Chris Schimp asked what was needed in the spring?

                                                    i.     West River will use the nets from Hood Field if the younger kids are at West River.

                                                  ii.     Grover Field needs four corner flags.

                                                iii.     The practice balls will be available mid-March for this spring. 

    1. Soccer Balls and Trophies – Chris will review Marty Gaffney’s pricing for the size 0 soccer balls to be provided at the end of the season.
    2. Uniforms – Are available at the Soccer Spot.  The uniforms have been sold only in sets in the past.  The Soccer Spot split up the sets last fall.  Players do not have to purchase the set, the can purchase shirts, shorts, and socks separately.  Tee shirts will be provided to U6 and U7 players.  New shirts will only be provided to players who did not participate in the fall.  Every played will get a new shirt in the fall. 
    3. Coaches Shirts and Jackets – If your black coaching shirt is worn out, see Mark Fitzgerald will provide you a new one.  Mark has approximately 30 various jackets left.

 

Ken Perregaux motioned that if anyone has coached for 5 successive sessions and wants a jacket, they will be provided a MUYSA coaching jacket for free.  The motion was seconded by Don Morin.  The motion passed unanimously.

 

 

7.     Website Changes:

    1. New Host – Mike Brodeur provided: The MUYSA web site has been up on the new hosting service for the past two weeks.  So far it is going well.  The club purchased a 1 year subscription for the hosting provider. 

 

    1. Mike Brodeur reminded everyone that the MUYSA@Intranets.com is still active and can be used this spring by coaches for evaluation purposes.  The site will remain active for another year.  Mike would like coaches to sign up and use the site this spring for their teams. 

 

8.     Upton Mens Club Auction -  The Upton Mens Club Auction committee contacted  Ken Perregaux and requested a MUYSA registration as an auction gift.

 

Ken Perregaux motioned that MUYSA provide a girls and boys soccer registration as an auction prize for the Upton Mens Club Auction.  The motion was seconded by Val Sumner.  The motion passed unanimously.

 

9.     Other Items:

    1. Mike Brodeur attended the MYSA General Meetings and Workshops on February 12th.  There is a very low probability that they will have on-line registrations working in the near future.  The fee’s are going up for associated adults to $12.00.  The background check is going to get more extensive. Also, Mike attended an Insurance meeting, the message Mike brought back was that anyone having involvement with the team must be registered through MUYSA.  Any parent that is helping must have gone through the background investigation.  Mike will be making this requirement more formal.
    2. The form for the Soccer Scholarships has to get up to the high School.  Mark Murray will get the forms up to the high school.  The scholarship committee is Mark Murray, Mike Brodeur, and Mark Fitzgerald.  The committee will make recommendations and the MUYSA will make the final decisions.
    3. Gary Crompton will be having 4 day soccer camps this year.  The first camp in April will be from the 9:00am to 12:00 noon, Tuesday through Friday of the vacation week at Miscoe Hill School. The summer camp will be August 1st through the 4th.  Additional information on the camps will be provided as they approach. 

 

10.  Next Meeting Date – April 5th at 7:15, Rose Garden Café.