Mendon – Upton Youth Soccer Association
Meeting Minutes April 2005
Meeting Date: April 5th, 2005 Start: 7:22pm Adjourned 9:48pm
Present: Ken Perregaux, Mike Brodeur, Keith Jackson, Don Morin, Ed Mullarkey, Mark Murray, Chris Wojtowicz , Val Sumner, Michael Merrigan, Rich Victor, Tony Adcock, Bob Dumas, Mark Fitzgerald, Chris Schimp, Bob Thayer, Mark McGowan, Dave Adams, Roger Hess, Mike Campagna, Stephen Talon, Dan Belanger, Jeff Ernst, Mike Poe, Laurie Pirozzi, Fran Soucy, Bob Burke, Pete Bloznalis
Agenda / Discussion
1. Approve previous month’s minutes: Minutes for December, January, February and March were discussed and motioned to be approved by Don Morin. The motion was seconded by Jeff Ernst. Motion passed unanimously.
2. Team Pictures - Mike Poe had invited Dave Morin of Morin Studios to provide an overview of the services Morin Studios would provide to take Soccer Team pictures in the fall.
i. Dave Morin of Morin Studios located in Milford has experience with taking Team pictures in surrounding towns and with baseball.
ii. Dave provided there will be a large variety of packages that would be affordable to everyone and realizes we are a volunteer organization and would try to limit the burden of coordinating the pictures on the Board and coaches.
iii. Pictures will be taken in town approximately 45 minutes prior to the start of a game. Arrangements will be made for travel teams to fit their schedules. Morin Studios will be responsible for scheduling team photo times.
iv. Coaches will be responsible to pass out the date and time of the team pictures. The coaches will also receive the packages to provide back to the players.
v. The Club will receive $2.00 per package sold. Mike Poe will be the Club Coordinator for Morin Studios.
3. Spring Soccer
c. Field Updates:
i. Grover Field – Field will be used for U12 and above. Games start times will be schedule 2 hours apart. The field is ready to go.
ii. Miscoe Field – The field was taken away for use by the Soccer Club by Jim Grant. The Nipmuc football program is seeding the field and will not let it be used for the spring season.
iii. Hood Field – Field will be used for U10’s practices and for the U6&7 program on Saturdays. Mike Poe will be scheduling practice times. There are 5 girls teams and 4 boys teams. The field will be lined for the U6&7 program.
iv. Kiwanis Field – Offline for repairs.
v. West River Field – Field will be used for U8’s. Dave Adams will coordinate the practice times with help from Mark Fitzgerald.
vi. High School – No update.
i. Format Discussion – Mike Poe provided that there was a U6&7 format purchased from Gary Crompton that has been modified to fit the Clubs needs over the last two years. This program has been working well for the U6&7 program. There seems to be a difference in the coaching at the U8 level.
Ken Perregaux motioned the U6&7 and the U8 coordinators review the Gary Crompton Program and provide proposals for either modifying the program and how it will be applied to the U8 program. This effort will be coordinated by Mike Poe. The motion was seconded by Dan Belanger. The motion passed unanimously.
Mark Murray motioned the Club join the MAYS league in the fall. The motion was seconded by Don Morin. The motion passed unanimously.
5. Coaches Education:
i. 12:00 – 1:15, U8’s
ii. 1:20 – 2:35, U10’s
iii. 2:45 – 4:00, U12’s
6. Referee Coordinator: Chris Wojtowicz provided the following update:
7. Equipment Update: Marty Gaffney passed away last Saturday. The Club has an order in for the size two balls. Chris is waiting to hear who the Clubs new representative will be.
i. West River will use the nets from Hood Field if the younger kids are at West River.
ii. Grover Field needs four corner flags.
iii. The practice balls will be available mid-March for this spring.
8. Website Changes:
9. Scholarship Committee Update - Mark Murray provided that a few application have been turned in. The committee is made up of Mark Murray, Mike Brodeur, and Mark Fitzgerald. There will be two $500.00 scholarships awarded. The list of finalists will be presented at the next meeting.
10. After Prom Party Donation – The Club has supported this effort in the past.
Val Sumner motioned that MUYSA provide a $100.00 donation to the After Prom Party. The motion was seconded by Ken Perregaux. The motion passed unanimously.
11. Summer Camps:
i. April Vacation Camp – will be offered. The camp will run from the 9:00am to 12:00 noon, Tuesday through Friday of the vacation week at Miscoe Hill School. A link is available through the MUYSA.org website.
ii. Summer Camp (August 1st – August 4th) – Soccer 101 camp to be offered by Gary Crompton. It is either a full day camp or a ½ day camp. The school has informed Gary there will be an increase in charge for using Miscoe Hill School. The charge will be $100.00 per day and if the inside gym is required due to rain or heat, another $50.00 per day will be added. There was discussion around the Club helping to finance the increased fee. It was determined through discussion that the Club will not subsidize private ventures. Ken Perregaux will discuss the fee increase with Mark Fitzgerald and determine the next course of action, possibly a meeting with the school board. A link to Soccer101 is available through the MUYSA.org website.
12. Town Soccer Night at the Revs (June 25th) - Mike Campagna will look into what is required for the Club to go to the game. Mike will provide a report at the next meeting.
13. Other Items:
14. Next Meeting Date – May 3rd at 7:15, Rose Garden Café.
Don Morin motioned to adjourn the meeting at 9:48. The motion was seconded by Ed Mullarkey. The motion passed unanimously.